Featured Post

The Last of the 2016 Christmas Cards (Part I)

Believe it or not, I still have one (actually two, but they are from the same person) more package to show off from Christmas 2016!  At the conclusion of the posts for the two packages, I will be 100% caught up on all trade posts, both from the year 2016 and from the current year.  I'm not going to lie, it's going to feel great to have a desk with no yellow envelopes waiting for me...  Then again, it's going to be sad if I don't start doing more trading in 2017, luckily Allen & Ginter season is practically here (and I still have some 2017 Archives available for trade as well).

However, before I start looking any further ahead, let's look back at a MASSIVE pair of envelopes sent to me by David in Alaska (who, to the best of my knowledge, does not have a blog).

See, this was a Christmas package.

David and I have exchanged a number of packages over the years, but truth be told, he always does much better for me than I do for him (though it's not for a lack of trying on my end)!

Anyhow, in order properly show off David's generosity, I am going to split the trade post up into several posts.  For each one, I'm simply going to grab a couple of the team bags full of cards from the envelopes and then show off some of my favorites.  Trust me, there's all sorts of cool and interesting stuff to be discovered!

What kind of cool stuff?  Let's start off with this Simply Supreme autograph card from 2015 Topps Supreme...a set that I've never even heard of (sounds like high end, most of those sets escape my attention because I can't ever afford the gamble on them).

Anyhow, the card is sort of die-cut - the white part is actually cut and then pasted onto a slab of cardboard (the blue you see).  It's a simple design, but it is also eye-catching and different from a lot of what I've seen from Topps over the past few years.  I like it!

Next up, a slew of autographs of Reds of various calibers.

Design-wise, I think I like the Brendan Harris best (even though it's a sticker autograph).  I'm a sucker for cards on clear plastic (probably why I like Topps Tek so much as well).

It was only autographs that David sent my way, he also included this nice Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. card (serially numbered out of 1799 for some reason).

That's a lot shiny pink in that card (but I have to admit, I like the card).  What can I say, I'm drawn in by shiny things sometimes!  And you'll have to trust me, the card looks wayyyy pinker in person!

The last couple of cards for today's post that I wanted to highlight both come from Allen & Ginter - the first is one of those 10th anniversary buyback cards that Topps did.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about buyback cards in general...and I'm certain that buying back cards from 2009 is pretty stupid.  However, the joke is admittedly on me because I do want all the Reds' buybacks I can get from A&G...

And finally, the last card for today and it's not even a Red!

That's a beautiful framed autograph of Bill Rancic.

I didn't have any clue who Bill was, so off to Google I went:
William "Bill" Rancic is an American entrepreneur who was the first candidate hired by The Trump Organization at the conclusion of the first season of Donald Trump's reality television show, The Apprentice.
Interesting.  Get on a reality TV show...get on a Topps baseball card and have a beautiful framed autograph made for you.  That's the good like for 'ol Bill, isn't it?

Many thanks for the great packages of cards, David!  And once again, sorry it took me so long to get them posted.  That said, I'm not yet completely through the two packages, so stay tuned for another post with even more great stuff (including a new Larkin for my collection)!

Comments